Within the framework of the Helmholtz Young Investigators Group “SAIDAN: Seismic and Aseismic Deformation in the brittle crust: Implications for Anthropogenic and Natural Hazard” (www.saidan.org
) hosted by Section 4.2 “Geomechanics and Rheology” we invite applications for a
Postdoctoral Geophysicist/ Seismologist (m/f)
Job Vacancy No. 1164
The SAIDAN Young Investigators Group aims at: (1) generating a quantitative understanding on deformation processes extending from fully seismic to completely aseismic movements in the brittle Earth’s crust, and (2) characterizing precursory processes preceding the occurrence of large earthquakes in relation to both plate-bounding transform faults and reservoir engineering activities.
The members of SAIDAN (P.I. Dr. Patricia Martínez-Garzón) will benefit from scientific interaction with the main collaboration partners (University of Southern California, Geoazur Laboratory of Nice, Caltech, Ruhr-University of Bochum).
In addition, the GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam und Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
- study of seismic deformation processes and earthquake nucleation focusing on plate bounding transform faults and fluid-induced seismicity
- integrate seismic waveforms with other complementary data to characterize the entire bandwidth of deformation processes (e.g. GPS, strainmeters)
- willingness to work in an interdisciplinary and international environment
- publish research results in peer-review ISI journals
- Master’s degree and PhD in Geophysics with a strong focus on either seismology, seismo-mechanics or geodesy
- experience in state of the art processing and analysis of waveform recordings
- experience with the analysis of slow seismic processes is preferred
Starting date: January 2019
Fixed term: 3 years (extension possible)
Salary: The pay scale grouping will be according to pay group 13 TVöD-Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost) provided that all tariff related and personal requirements are met.
Working hours: full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.
Please submit your application by 30th August 2018.
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Buge at +49 (0) 331-288-28878.