For Section 2.8 "Magnetospheric Physics" we invite applications for a
PhD Student (m/f/x) Data Science, Machine Learning, and Scientific Programming
Job Vacancy No. 3564
Job responsibilities will include a variety of tasks related to machine learning, data science and scientific programming:
- conduct research in the field of space physics
- apply machine learning tools
- modify and develop new physics-based computer models and compare them with observations
- develop various programming tools for scientific codes and data analysis
- document and test existing codes
- adopt scientific codes for different scientific problems
- Master's degree in computer sciences or natural sciences
- knowledge of data science and machine learning concepts
- several years of working experience with IT programming or scientific programming
- knowledge of Unix, Mac, and Windows operating systems
- experience with various programming languages, including C++, Matlab, IDL, Python, Fortran
- ability to work with large datasets
- experience with machine learning, data mining, and data assimilation is a plus
- ability to work within a team
- attention to detail and organizational skills
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Starting date: as soon as possible
Fixed term: 36 months
Salary: This position has been assessed as being salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group will be determined by the conditions of the collective wage agreement and the appropriate personal qualifications.
Working hours: part-time 75% (currently 29.25 h/week)
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.
The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam und Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
Please submit your application online by 17th November 2019 (extended) using the "Apply" button.
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Buge at +49 (0) 331-288-28878.