Postdoctoral position in atomistic modeling
Job Vacancy No. 1898
- carry out ab initio calculations and analyses to determine diverse physical properties that will depend on the material under investigation, e.g. but not limited to, structural, electronic, magnetic, elastic, vibrational (phonons), thermodynamic, or transport properties as a function of pressure, composition, size, strain, temperature, etc.
- code development, if necessary, in order to understand, manage, or process initial results to set them up within a particular field of interest as described in the introduction
- present work at regular group, department, national and international meetings in poster or oral presentation.
- publication of the scientific results in peer-reviewed international journals
- collaborate in the mentorship of future grad students and grant-proposal writing
- work closely with experimentalists and in an international and multidisciplinary environment
- a recent (or receiving shortly) PhD in physics, chemistry, materials science, geosciences or closely related field
- experience with quantum simulations based on density functional theory using VASP and/or Quantum Espresso (knowledge of other electronic structure codes is a plus) demonstrated by peer-reviewed publications
- additional skills with molecular dynamics, Monte Carlo simulations, other modeling techniques, and scientific programming are also beneficial and highly desirable
- mandatory knowledge of LaTeX, UNIX/Linux, and the use of supercomputing resources (running codes, compiling, scripting)
- excellent level of scientific communication in English for discussions, oral presentations, and manuscript and proposal writing
- experience working in collaboration with experiments is helpful
Fixed term: 1 year with possibility of extension
Salary: The pay scale grouping will be based on TVöD-Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost).
Working hours: full-time (currently 39 h/week). The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.
- a one-page letter of motivation stating how you fit the criteria of the post and your research interests
- a full CV containing the names and contact information of your PhD advisor and an additional recommender; (They will be invited to submit a letter of support on your behalf if your application is shortlisted.)
- your BSc, MSc (if obtained) and PhD certificates