For Section 4.3 "Climate Dynamics and Landscape Evolution" we invite applications for a
Scientist/Postdoctoral Researcher (m/f/x)
Job Vacancy No. 3201
This position is part of the Helmholtz-Initiative Climate Adaptation and Mitigation (HI-CAM). Climate extremes and their impacts intensify in urban regions: urban heat islands, droughts, storms and floods impair human health, green and built infrastructure. The research will provide a comprehensive assessment of climate related risks for a number of key cities that suffer from climate extremes (e.g. Berlin, Cologne).
- use new dendrochronology methods (in particular tree-ring widths, wood anatomical features and stable isotopes)
- reconstruct and model the spatial distribution and spatio-temporal evolution of urban heat islands (UHI) for the last 100 years in Berlin and Cologne
- Master's degree and PhD in the field of biology, ecology or related fields (e.g. geography, vegetation science)
- experience with tree-ring data analysis and the writing of scientific publications
- experience in analyzing wood anatomy and stable isotope data and their use for climate reconstructions
- experience in exploration of monitoring data (environmental and tree growth) to study the correlation between climate and tree physiology
- experience in modeling climate and the urban heat island effects
Starting date: as soon as possible
Fixed term: 2 years
Salary: This position has been assessed as being salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group will be determined by the conditions of the collective wage agreement and the appropriate personal qualifications.
Working hours: full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.
The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam und Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
Please submit your application online by 28th July 2019 using the "Apply" button.
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Buge at +49 (0) 331-288-28878.