For Section 4.2 "Geomechanics and Scientific Drilling" we invite applications for a
Scientific Drilling Data Manager (m/f/x)
Job Vacancy No. 2508
The GFZ hosts the Operational Support Group (OSG) of the International Continental Scientific Drilling Program (ICDP) in its section 4.2. The OSG serves the scientific community through operational and financial support for high-profile international scientific drilling projects. ICDP projects contribute significantly to major advances in understanding Earth’s environment and life, sustainable georesources and natural disasters. GFZ is supporting the ICDP with a data and information management scientist to support and supervise scientific data acquisition in ICDP projects in the field, in labs and in core repositories. This scientist will enhance the cooperation between project scientists and ICDP through implementing joint data management, continuous communication, protocols and standards, and the publication of project reports and scientific data sets.
- oversight and development on ICDP data and information management
- project data acquisition and web-based distribution
- training of drilling project scientists in the Drilling Information System (DIS) and utilization of associated drill site instruments such as core scanners
- development of sophisticated means for quality control in acquisition, documentation, and archiving of scientific drilling data
- support in organizational and logistical tasks such as the preparation and hosting of workshops and shipment of equipment and sample material
- editing and publishing operational reports and scientific drilling data sets in co-operation with the principal investigators and science team
- presentation of results at international conferences and publication in peer-reviewed journals
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) and preferably PhD in Earth Science or related field
- proven experience in scientific drilling projects or similar fields
- strong background in data science and/or data and information management
- expertise in drill data management and processing
- experience in coordinating team processes
- practical skills in database tasks and coding
- willingness to travel internationally and to serve on projects in remote areas
- proven ability to communicate efficiently in English
Starting date: 1st August 2019
Fixed term: 2 years with the option of an extension
Salary: This position has been assessed as being salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group will be determined by the conditions of the collective wage agreement and the appropriate personal qualifications.
Working hours: full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.
The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam und Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
Please submit your application online by 21st June 2019 (extended) using the "Apply" button.
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Buge at +49 (0) 331-288-28878.