For Section 5.2 / Department 5 “Geoarchives” we invite applications for a
Postdoc Position (m/f)
Job Vacancy No. 1067
For a new project funded by the German Science Foundation (DFG) in the framework of the International Continental Drilling Program (ICDP) priority program, we are looking for a Postdoc candidate with a focus on inorganic geochemistry and sedimentology. The project PRO-HYDRO seeks to investigate the changes in precipitation regimes in the Dead-Sea Basin during the Holocene using tracers of sediment provenance (neodymium and strontium isotopes) and of transportation modes (grain-size distribution, sediment compositions). The sediments are finely laminated, which allows to establish a very precise chrono-stratigraphy. This will permit to place the record in a wider (circum-Mediterranean) perspective and explore abrupt climatic changes with a very high temporal resolution.
- set up column chemistry, extract and measure the radiogenic neodymium (Nd) and strontium (Sr) signature of sediments
- perform and integrate micro-facies analyses on thin sections, major elemental contents (micro-XRF) and grain-size measurements with radiogenic isotope results
- liaise with partners in Israel and organize field work for outcrop sampling
- publish in international journals and present results at scientific meetings
- Master’s degree in geosciences, natural or environmental sciences
- PhD in the field of isotope geochemistry, sedimentology and/or paleoclimatology
- experience with clean lab procedures, column chemistry and mass spectrometry are an asset
- interest in paleoclimatology, lake records, source-to-sink thematic, and/or feedback processes
- good mathematical skills, particularly in statistics
- good interpersonal and intercultural skills, ability to travel for field work
Starting date: from October 2018 onwards
Fixed term: 20 months
Salary: The pay scale grouping will be according to pay group 13 TVöD-Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost) provided that all tariff related and personal requirements are met.
Working hours: full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.
The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam und Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
Please submit your application by 30th July 2018.
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Buge at +49 (0) 331-288-28878.