For Section 3.1 "Inorganic and Isotope Geochemistry" we invite applications for an
Analytical Scientist (m/f/x)
Job Vacancy No. 3628
Analytical Scientist (m/f/x) working in the Potsdam Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry Laboratory (SIMS)
The Potsdam SIMS laboratory servers the world-wide geochemical community by providing access to modern SIMS instrumentation (Cameca 1280-HR) backed up by a broad spectrum of supporting microanalytical hardware. We seek a new member to join this facility’s staff; the successful candidate will both assist approved users as well as participate in the expansion of the laboratory’s capabilities through the development of new analytical strategies and through the characterization of new geochemical reference materials.
- support users of the SIMS facility with their project planning, SIMS data acquisition, data interpretation, manuscript preparation and ultimately the publication of the collaborative scientific output
- the independent operation of the Potsdam 1280-HR SIMS instrument; any necessary training will be provided
- operation of other key analytical infrastructure available at the GFZ including SEM imaging [M1], the operation of optical microscopes and optical interferometer
- general support of the facility including the purchasing of consumables, assisting where there are specialized needs regarding sample preparation, and helping with the routine maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Master's degree and PhD in analytical chemistry, isotope geochemistry, microanalytical methods or equivalent
- a minimum of four years of research working with mass spectrometers or similar experience
- good familiarity with ultra-high vacuum systems
- willingness to participate in collaborative research with short-term and long-term visiting scientists as well as with scientists from other research groups from within the GFZ
- passion for carrying out research within a team environment
- a strong publication record in the international scientific literature
- fluency in spoken and written English, knowledge or willingness to learn spoken German
Starting date: as soon as possible
Fixed term: 3 years contract with potential for subsequent tenure
Salary: This position has been assessed as being salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group will be determined by the conditions of the collective wage agreement and the appropriate personal qualifications.
Working hours: full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.
The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam und Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
Please submit your application online by 30th November 2019 using the "Apply" button.
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Buge at +49 (0) 331-288-28878.