For Section 2.8 “Magnetospheric Physics” we invite applications for a
Research Scientist or Senior Research Scientist in Magnetospheric Physics (m/f)
Job Vacancy No. 0953
The Department of Geophysics seeks exceptional candidates for a senior research scientist in magnetospheric and space physics. Expertise of a successful candidate may include, but is not limited to magnetospheric physics, ionospheric physics, heliophysics or planetary magnetospheres. The appointment as either research scientist or senior research scientist will be made according to the candidate’s experience and qualifications.
- expectation to conduct independent research
- development and maintenance of a vigorous externally funded research program
- mentor of students at graduate level
- expectation to teach classes or participate in teaching classes
- attend relevant conferences and scientific meetings
- publish at least 1-2 scientific papers per year in leading journals
- develop computer codes and process satellite data
- contribute to GFZ capacity building
- Master’s degree or equivalent and PhD in physics, mathematics, geophysics or related disciplines
- strong background in space physics
- ability and willingness to lead a research group
- exceptional publication record
- experience in securing and managing extramural funded programs from private, state, or federal sources is an advantage
- strong leadership capabilities are preferred
Starting date: as soon as possible
Fixed term: 1 year with possibility of extension for a further 2 years
Salary: The pay scale grouping will be according to pay group 13 TVöD-Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost) provided that all tariff related and personal requirements are met.
Working hours: full-time (currently 39h/week); The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.
The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam und Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
Please submit your application in English by 15th August 2018.
The application should contain:
· a cover letter
· a CV including a full publication list
· a statement of research interests
· names and contact details of 3-5 independent referees.
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Buge at +49 (0) 331-288-28878.