The Helmholtz Centre Potsdam – GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences is the national research centre for Earth sciences in Germany. With approx. 1260 employees, the GFZ is conducting interdisciplinary research on the “System Earth” and the influence of humans on the planet. As a member of the Helmholtz Association, it is part of Germany’s largest science organization.
For Section 3.3 “Earth Surface Geochemistry”, led by Prof. Friedhelm von Blanckenburg we invite applications for a
Research Scientist (m/f)
Job Vacancy No. 0999
In our GFZ section, geochemical methods are applied in innovative ways to geological questions. We are participating in the DFG priority project "Mountain Building in 4D" (www.spp-mountainbuilding.de). 22 projects are investigating how mantle, crust and Earth's surface interact to build mountains. In the European Alps, researchers from seismology, tectonics, petrology, sedimentology, gravimetry and geochemistry are working together to quantify the collision of tectonic plates in 4 dimensions (time and space). In our subproject active near-surface faults in the Southeast Alps are to be mapped and their influence on erosion rates quantified by measuring cosmogenic nuclides.
- field work at the southeastern edge of the European Alps (Dinarides); mapping of tectonic faults and sampling river sand for cosmogenic nuclide analysis
- use of digital elevation models to assist fault and drainage network mapping
- physical and chemical mineral separation of river samples (partly with hydrofluoric acid)
- preparation of the samples in a clean room laboratory for cosmogenic nuclide analysis (10Be)
- calculation of erosion rates based on cosmogenic nuclide analysis and interpretation within the context of mapped faults
- university degree (Master's or equivalent) in Geosciences or Geology
- experience in field work, preferably with specialization in neotectonics
- knowledge of common programs for the evaluation of digital terrain models (eg ArcGIS)
- willingness to work independently in geochemical laboratories with acid digestions
- good personal interaction skills; willingness to interdisciplinary exchange with colleagues in the priority program
Starting date: 1st September 2018
Fixed term: 1 year; extension possible in case of successful research grant application for a further 3 years
Working hours: part-time 75 % (currently 29.25h/week)
Salary: The pay scale grouping will be into pay group 13 TVöD-Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost) provided that all tariff related and personal requirements are met.
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.
The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam und Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
Please submit your application by 31st July 2018.
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Buge at +49 (0) 331-288-28878.