For Section 2.8 Magnetospheric Physics we invite applications for a
Research Scientist (m/f)
Job Vacancy No. 1759
We seek applicants for a post-doctoral position within Project B06 of the DFG-funded Collaborative Research Center SFB 1294 “Data Assimilation – The Seamless Integration of Data and Models”: Novel methods for the 3D reconstruction of the dynamic evolution of the Van Allen belts using satellite measurements (PIs: Shprits/Stolle). We invite applications for a research scientist position in data assimilation for the Earth's Van Allen Radiation Belts.
- collaborate with University of Potsdam and UCLA (USA) in development of novel data assimilation techniques for space physics
- 1 day per week working at the University of Potsdam for collaborative work
- attend SFB colloquiums, summer schools and retreats
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
- Master’s or PhD degree in Physics (preferred), computer science, Mathematics or natural sciences
- several years working experience with IT programming or scientific programming
- experience with various programming languages including C++, Matlab, IDL, Python, Fortran
- profound knowledge of Physics or/and Space Physics, knowledge of Data Assimilation is a plus
- ability to work within a team
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Starting date: as soon as possible
Fixed term: 2 years, with possibility for extension dependent on the availability of funds
Salary: The pay scale grouping will be based on TVöD-Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost) provided that all tariff related and personal requirements are met.
Working hours: full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.
The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.
Please submit your application by 15th December 2018
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Buge at +49 (0) 331-288-28878.