For Section 4.8 "Geoenergie" we invite applications for a
PostDoc (m/f/x) Geosciences, Environmental Sciences or Economic Geography
Job Vacancy No. 3088
Helmholtz-Initiative Climate Adaptation and Mitigation (HI-CAM)
The Helmholtz-Initiative Climate Adaptation and Mitigation (HI-CAM) will promote inter- and transdisciplinary research and support young scientists in the development of their careers in this societally important research area. The mitigation part of the initiative aims to evaluate and pave the way for possible routes to reach the Net-Zero goal until mid-century and intends to provide scientifically based information on the potential of available key technologies under different scenarios and against the background of the specific economical and societal feasibility.
The current position is focused on the potential and integration of CO2 subsurface storage and usage solutions:
- investigation of underground storage capacity data from existing data base
- development of models to quantify operational and monitoring cost for an on-shore storage option along the whole life-cycle, based on CO2 pilot project data (Ketzin)
- comparison with data from large-scale CO2 storage sites in Canada (on-shore) und Norway (off-shore)
- create a scenario for an on-shore storage case with process industry point source
- preparing an interface for contributing to emission reduction and energy assessment models of the project partners, including CCUS scenarios (i.e, circulation and recovery of the stored CO2)
- presentation of results at national and international conferences and publication in peer-reviewed journals
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) and preferably PhD in Geosciences, Environmental Sciences or related fields
- working experience as a researcher with background in geological underground processes, conceptual modelling, techno-economic studies
- experience in data treatment and interpretation, knowledge in data bases
- practical experience in programming (e.g. Python), statistical evaluation methods and OpenSource programs
- excellent communication skills, ability to work in an interdisciplinary team
Starting date: as soon as possible
Fixed term: 2 years
Salary: This position has been assessed as being salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group will be determined by the conditions of the collective wage agreement and the appropriate personal qualifications.
Working hours: full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.
The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam und Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
Please submit your application online by 2nd August 2019 (extended) using the "Apply" button.
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Buge at +49 (0) 331-288-28878.