PostDoc position: Seismic monitoring of civil engineering structures
Job Vacancy No. 3939
- The hosting team (GFZ section 2.6) has a strong expertise in all aspects of seismic hazard and risk and is actively developing earthquake source models, ground motion models, and exposure models.
- The hosting team has the capacity for equipping buildings and critical infrastructures with various type of sensors and is highly interested in testing of new technologies (low cost sensors, fiber optics, deconvolution interferometry).
- The hosting is involved in several programs/projects dealing with large datasets and machine learning methods.
- The recruited researcher will be integrated in stimulating National and European workshops, working groups and collaborations associated on-going projects (The RISE and LEXIS projects, both supported by the EU within the Horizon2020 framework, the ROBUST and DARE project, funded by the German Ministry for Education and Research and by the German Research Foundation).
- develop new methods for combining engineering knowledge and seismic data for exposure, loss modeling, rapid response or early warning frameworks
- develop innovative seismic monitoring methods or technologies
- develop methods adapted to large datasets (e.g. machine learning)
- active participation to field experiments
- Master's degree (or equivalent) and PhD degree in seismology or earthquake engineering
- advanced experience with seismic data-processing and the analysis of large seismic databases
- advanced experience with Linux, shell scripting, Python, relational databases (PostgreSQL and PostGIS), QGIS, and visualization tools
- experience in earthquake hazard and risk assessments using OpenQuake
- experience or Willingness to work with large datasets and interact with data experts
- willingness to work in an international, interdisciplinary team
- experience in presenting scientific results during conferences and through publications in peer-reviewed journals
Fixed term: 24 months
Salary: This position has been assessed as being salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group will be determined by the conditions of the collective wage agreement and the appropriate personal qualifications.
Working hours: full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.