For Section 1.3 "Earth System Modelling" we invite applications for a
Job Vacancy No. 3110
The satellite gravimetry mission GRACE-FO has been successfully launched in May 2018 in a joint effort between NASA and GFZ to continue the 15-years long record of global monthly gravity fields acquired with the GRACE mission between 2002 and 2017. We are looking for a motivated Ph.D. student to contribute to the development of a new non-tidal ocean de-aliasing model. The position will be part of the newly established research group NEROGRAV founded by Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG).
- design, run and analyze new experiments with a global ocean general circulation model
- evaluation of model experiments with independent oceanographic and geodetic data
- quantification of uncertainties of simulated ocean bottom pressure fields
- contribution to the quality assessment of GRACE and GRACE-FO gravity fields developed by other members of the research group
- M.Sc. in Physics, Mathematics, Geodesy, Oceanography or Physical Geosciences
- profound mathematical skills including experience with time series analysis, parameter estimation, inverse problems, uncertainty quantification
- programming skills in FORTRAN, Python, and/or Bash
- experience in numerical modeling of large-scale geophysical fluid dynamics would be an advantage
Starting date: 1st October 2019
Fixed term: 3 years
Salary: This position has been assessed as being salary group 13 according to “TVöD Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost)”. The salary group will be determined by the conditions of the collective wage agreement and the appropriate personal qualifications.
Working hours: part-time 75% (currently 29.25 h/week)
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.
The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam und Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
Please submit your application online by 31st August 2019 using the "Apply" button.
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Buge at +49 (0) 331-288-28878.