Transmission Electron Micro-Spectroscopy Researcher / Laboratory Manager (m/f)
Job Vacancy No. 2009
- day-to-day operation, management, and keeping in good functioning of two transmission electron microscopy systems (FEI Tecnai G2 F20 and a new Themis Z) at the GFZ
- coordinating all sample preparation work, both conventional and target specific modes (i.e., FEI Helios G4 Dual Beam Helios G4 UC, cryo-preparation, etc)
- coordinating analyses of a multitude of sample types using different TEM modes (i.e., conventional and high resolution imaging, EDX, EELS, SAED etc. analyses; tomography, cryo-imaging, liquid cell TEM work)
- responsible for managing day-to-day user access, providing user training and helping with data analyses and interpretation across a large variety of projects for different internal and external users
- lead and write scientific publications for international refereed journals and present at scientific meetings
- lead and contribute to writing proposals for third party funding for future developments in TEM analyses/imaging
- Master's degree (or equivalent) and PhD in geosciences, material sciences, physics or equivalent with a strong focus on micro-spectroscopy; fundamental knowledge in crystallography and experience working with beam sensitive and poorly ordered materials is essential; liquid cell or cryo-TEM work knowledge desirable
- at least 5 years of documented, hands-on expertise in TEM facility management and operation
- at least 7 years experience in convention and high resolution imaging and elemental analysis; selected area and nano-beam electron diffraction, energy loss spectroscopy, nano-tomography, ideally with experience in cryo-imaging/ analyses, and/or liquid-cell time-resolved imaging/ analyses etc.
- documented skills (through published work) in imaging/analyses of complex inorganic and of hybrid inorganic-biological samples
- skills or experience in development of new analytical data processing tools or novel TEM techniques
- capacity for interdisciplinary and international teamwork
- documented communication and writing proficiency English (grants and publication record)
Fixed term: permanent
Salary: The pay scale grouping will be according to pay group 14 TVöD-Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost) provided that all tariff related and personal requirements are met.
Working hours: full-time (currently 39 h/week); The position is, in principle, suitable for part-time employment.