For Section 6.4 Centre for Scientific Drilling we invite applications for a
Outreach and Media Coordinator (m/f)
Job Vacancy No. 1618
Section 6.4 is devoted to scientific drilling, the International Continental Scientific Drilling Program (ICDP) and to geophysical investigations in the underground. Scientific drilling is the ultimate method to provide samples and data from depth to the Earth science community. Hosted at the GFZ, the ICDP provides funding and support for implementing and realizing scientific drilling projects on land. Meanwhile more than 40 drilling projects on five continents have been executed and completed with ICDP funding and support and more than 80 ICDP workshops have been held. The successful candidate will maintain and develop outreach and media communication, measure their efficiency and train ICDP scientists in the effective use of media.
The successful candidate will be involved in ICDP activities and projects in the following fields:
- create engaging text, image and video content for various media, specifically social media (ICDP website, Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, Wikipedia…)
- develop new outreach measures including media events, traveling exhibitions or similar
- educate and train ICDP scientists in scientific drilling and in the effective use of (social) media
- research audience preferences and discover new science communication trends
- support the redesign of the ICDP website and social media channels as required
- support ICDP projects and ICDP country offices with the creation of Social Media content
- Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in media and science communication and/or proven work experience
- strong background in Earth or Natural Sciences
- expertise in multiple Social Media platforms
- expertise in Education and Outreach in science
- ability to deliver creative content (text, image and video)
- expertise in organizing outreach and media events is beneficial
- ability for and willingness to work in a multidisciplinary team and to communicate with external partners
- excellent command of spoken and written English
- willingness to travel
Starting date: as soon as possible
Fixed term: 2 years (with option for continuation)
Salary: The pay scale grouping will be based on TVöD-Bund (Tarifgebiet Ost).
Working hours: half-time 50% (currently 19,5 h/week)
You can expect a very diverse and challenging job in an international work environment that is characterized by exciting research projects. The compatibility of work and family life is of particular concern to the GFZ. Therefore, it offers the opportunity for flexible working time and workplaces. Moreover, there is a kindergarten located on the research campus.
The GFZ is a partner with Geo.X (www.geo-x.net), and as such it is well connected with other geoscience institutions in Potsdam und Berlin. Geo.X forms the largest regional cluster of geoscientific expertise in Europe and offers excellent opportunities for cooperation and development.
Please submit your application by 11th December 2018 (extended).
Equal opportunity is an inherent part of our personnel policy. Therefore we are particularly welcoming applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons will be given preferential treatment in the case of equal qualification.
We will retain your application documents for at least three months, even if the application is not successful.
If you have any questions regarding this job offer, please feel free to call Ms Buge at +49 (0) 331-288-28878.